Vegan Salt Phish
Salt fish is one of the most loved West Indian foods but, it is not vegan! This is an easy way to create salt fish by using eggplant strips and seasoning it well. This salt fish can be used on rice, stuffed into bakes or made into your favourite fritter recipe.
1 large eggplant
3 tablespoon salt for salting
2 tablespoon neutral oil
1 heaping tablespoon of Island Love Vegan Phish Seasoning
1 small onion minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
½ teaspoon mince scotch bonnet
1 garlic clove minced
1⁄4 cup sweet pepper sliced, optional
- Peel eggplant and cut into strips. Add all of the salt over the eggplant and start to squeeze the eggplant until it is soft and limp.
- Wash off some of the salt but not all, taste the eggplant to see if the level is good for you. Pat dry.
- Sautee eggplant in oil until cooked, the eggplant should be soft but not too delicate. Add in onion, sweet peppers and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Put the onion, peppers and garlic with the eggplant.
- Stir in the Island Love Gourmet Phish Seasoning, thyme black pepper and scotch bonnet.
Serve hot in preferred dish.