Scrummy Chickpea Salad
We grew up in Barbados and while Taymer loved farm fresh crunchy veggies (I) Ramon was like a typical guy who avoided salads until I got older. We love our parents but they were not salad warriors, salads were offered but there were not exciting. This is where we come in. We wanted to enjoy salads that you could write home about, salads that would make you forgo a cook meal for weeks and salads that nourished you from the inside out.
This chickpea salad has a bit of an international flair melding different cultures together. There are 3 dressings in this but they are easy to put together and one is just a store bought sauce and it does not have a lot of salad participants so it is nice on the budget.
Chickpeas are really nice in salads because they can be roasted to have a characteristic of being crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. They tend to soak up salad dressings easily like a high protein crouton!
Roasted carrots bring a beautiful velvety texture to salads, usually carrots go in as raw salad arsenals but this time we wanted the carrot to shine differently and salt roasting would make you look at carrots differently in the future.
The cashew dressing is our everything dressing that brings that cheesy, creamy addition to that salad that pairs well with the simple light vinaigrette and also marries well with the dash of tabasco sauce.
Yes hot sauce belongs on salad because we said so.
We have been going on and on about this salad so let's get into this recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
1⁄8 teaspoon pink salt
½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
1 head of romaine lettuce wash and chopped
1 cucumber with skin on chopped
1⁄4 cup Italian parsley
1 small white onion thinly sliced
1 large carrot
1 cup of iodized salt for roasting (yes this is not a typo)
1 tablespoon Island Love Gourmet's I Love Garlic Seasoning
Dressing- Simple vinaigrette
3 tablespoon olive/ avocado oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 clove or crushed garlic
½ teaspoon pink salt
½ cup soaked raw cashews
½ lemon juiced
salt to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon neutral oil
a few tablespoons of water to get your mixture to dressing consistency
- Turn on the oven to 180°C. Place the carrot in a small baking pan like a loaf pan and cover in it salt. Bake for 40 mins until carrot is tender and can be tested with a fork. When you remove the carrot from the salt bed dust it off.
- Simultaneously cover the chickpeas in oil, black pepper and salt. Roast them for 30 minutes checking in on them halfway through the cooking process. Set aside to cool a bit before adding them on your salad.
- Make vinaigrette, how? You whisk in the oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, pink salt and sugar.
- Blend cashews, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, nutritional yeast flakes, oil and water together until you have a fairly smooth consistency. You do not want it to be super smooth as the unblended nuts give texture and character to the salad.
- Assemble the salad in a big beautiful bowl.
- Mix in the vinaigrette with the romaine lettuce so it coats every leaf and place that in the bowl.
- Sprinkle in onions, parsley cucumber and slice that roasted carrot thin and make it look pretty.
- Place the roasted chickpeas in the middle of the salad and drizzle on tabasco sauce and cheesy dressing.
- Dig right in and thank us later!